1. Trends in Age-adjusted Cancer Death Rates* by Site, Females, US, 1930-2011. Cancer Facts and Figures 2015. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@editorial/documents/document/acspc-044520.pdf. Accessed May 17, 2015.
3. Joyce K, Saxena S, Williams A, et al. Antimicrobial spectrum of the antitumor agent, cisplatin. J Antibiot (Tokyo). 2010;63:530–532.
4. Hamilton-Miller JMT. Antimicrobial activity of 21 anti-neoplastic agents. Br J Cancer. 1984;49:367–369.
5. Velicer CM, Heckbert SR, Lampe JW, Potter, JD, Robertson CA, Taplin SH. Antibiotic use in relation to the risk of breast cancer. JAMA. 2004;291(7):827–835.
6. Herold C, Ocker M, Ganslmayer M, Gerauer H, Hahn EG, Schuppan D. Ciprofloxacin induces apoptosis and inhibits proliferation of human colorectal carcinoma cells. Br J Cancer. Feb 1, 2002;86(3):443–448.
7. Kijun J et al. New uses for old drugs: attempts to convert quinolone antibacterials into potential anticancer agents containing ruthenium. Inorg Chem. 2013 Aug 5;52(15):9029–0952.
8. Kamat AM, DeHaven JI, Lamm DL. Quinolone antibiotics: a potential adjunct to intravesical chemotherapy for bladder cancer. Urology. 1999 Jul;54(1):56–61.
9. Nakabayashi M et al. Activity of ketoconazole after taxane-based chemotherapy in castration–resistant prostate cancer. BJU Int. 2010 May;105(10):1392–1396.
10. Talebi T et al. High-dose ketoconazole in castration-resistant, metastatic prostate cancer patients previously treated with docetaxel chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28(15 suppl) (May 20 supplement):e15151.
11. Mukhopadhyay et al. Mebendazole elicits a potent antitumor effect in human cancer cell lines both in vitro and in vivo. Clin Cancer Res. 2002.
12. Apostolou P, Tsantsaridou A, Papasotiriou I, Toloudi M, Chatziioannou M, Giamouzis G. Bacterial and fungal microflora in surgically removed lung cancer samples. J Cardiothorac Surg. 2011;6:137.
13. Han J et al. Anti-proliferative and apoptotic effects of oleuoropein and hydroxytyrosol on human breast cancer MCF-7 cells. Cytotechnology. Jan 2009;59(1):45–53.
14. Diogo CV et al. Berberine as a promising safe anti-cancer agent – is there a role for mitochondria? Curr Drug Targets. 2011 Jun;12(6):850–859.
15. Sun Y et al. A systematic review of the anticancer properties of berberine, a natural product from Chinese herbs. Anticancer Drugs. 2009 Oct;20(9):757–769.
16. Jun Yin et al. Efficacy of berberine in patients with type 2 diabetes. Metabolism. May 2008;57(5):712–717.
17. Pierpaoi E et al. Antitumor effect of novel berberine derivatives in breast cancer cells (HER2-). Biofactors. 39(6):672–679.
18. Riva L et al. The antiproliferative effects of Uncaria tomentosa extracts and fractions on the growth of breast cancer cell line. Anticancer Res. 2001 Jul–Aug:21(4A):2457–2461.
19. Dreifuss A et al. Antitumoral and antioxidant effects of a hydroalcoholic extract of cat's claw (Uncaria tomentosa) in an in vivo carcinosarcoma model. J Ethnopharmacol. 6 July 2010;130(1):127–133.
20. Sandoval M. Cat's claw inhibits TNF-alpha production and scavenges free radicals: role in cytoprotection. Free Rad Biol Med. 1 July 200029(1):71–78.
21. Gimenez GD et al. Cytotoxic effect of the pentacyclic oxindole alkaloid mitraphylline isolated from Uncaria tomentosa bark on human Ewing's sarcoma and breast cancer cell lines. Planta Med. 2010;76(2):133–136.
Nooshin K. Darvish, ND, FICT, is a licensed naturopathic physician, fellow in integrative cancer therapies, and Lyme-literate physician. She is one of the very few physicians who completed a two-year medical residency in naturopathic family medicine at Bastyr University. For over 20 years, she has specialized in diagnosing and treating chronic diseases including Lyme disease, cancer, and neurological disorders, using an integrative and noninvasive approach. Dr. Darvish blends the best of Western, Eastern, natural, bioenergy, functional, and anti-aging medicines to diagnose and create effective evidence-based individualized treatment plans. She trains medical and naturopathic doctors nationally and internationally in integrative and holistic medicine. She is the founder and medical director of Holistique Medical Center in Bellevue, Washington. For more info, please visit www.DrDarvish.com or e-mail info@DrDarvish.com.
Page 1, 2